Rosemary & Thyme Pate
Traditionally, the liver was reserved for women only in childbearing years to promote fertility. That in itself just goes to show how nutrient dense it is.
It holds great vitamins and minerals that are essential to the immune system. Vitamin A (retinol - high bioavailability) and D have known defensive mechanisms against viruses and are great for hormone production. Not only that, but the liver is full of essential fats (EPA/DHA), copper, iron, folate, and B vitamins. The liver is particularly good for those with nervous system disorders.
Also great for
- Famous study - the legendary anti-fatigue factor
- Quality protein
- Cardiovascular stamina and physical performance
- Skin and eye health
- Mental Health
- Gut issues
- A great source of folate - (not the synthetic version of course making it great as a prenatal food)
- Best bio-available form of iron
- Rich in trace elements (i.e. copper, zinc, chromium)
- CoQ10 for cardiovascular function
- Relieves pms and mood swings
- 500 grams organic chicken livers (most important to use organic liver only, it is the detoxifying organ after all)
- 1 onion diced 3 slices of bacon (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 250 grams organic butter
- 100 ml of white wine (optional)
- Herbs such as rosemary, thyme, tarragon, or parsley (optional)
- Heat 50 grams of butter in pan; add onion garlic and sauté for 1 minute
- Add bacon and livers sauté till opaque.
- Add herbs if selected.
- Add white wine and reduce to a moist consistency and let cool.
- Transfer to blender and add remaining butter and blend till smooth.
- Transfer to a glass or ceramic container and refrigerate.
- Additional clarified butter (or ghee) can be drizzled over the top to preserve colour and help to keep the pate from forming a skin on top.